Tenant FAQs

You may have lots of questions. Are the answers here?

How old must I be to rent?

All tenants must be 18 years or older.

Is there anything to pay when applying?

Yes, you will be asked to pay a Holding Deposit of one weeks rent when you apply for the property. No other fees are payable, in accordance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

Must I have a job?

Affordability is the key factor, your income needs to be above a certain threshold dependant on the rent. See “How do I know if I can afford the place I like?”

How do I know if I can afford the place I like?

We base affordability on the rental amount multiplied by 30, this is the amount of annual income required. For instance, the amount of combined income required if the rent was £650 would be £19,500 i.e. the rent of £650 every month x 30 = £19,500 required income.

What if I work for an agency?

You must be permanently employed, or at least one person must be, and able to afford the rent from your own job.

I want to rent with more than one friend is this possible?

Sorry, but we only allow two unrelated adults to move into a property.

I receive Universal Credit, can I still rent a home through Letters?

This is wholly dependant on the landlord who owns the prospective property you might like to rent. We do our very best to communicate on a property by property basis if a landlord is able to accept rent payments by this method.

I’m retired, can I still rent through Letters?

Yes, as long as your pension meets our affordability requirement for the property you’ve chosen – and we must ask you for proof of the amount(s) you receive.

I’ve heard of the Immigration Act and ‘Right to rent’, does this apply to me?

If you are a British, European Economic Area (EEA), or Swiss citizen you have a right to rent a property (subject to documentary proof).

If you are not from an EEA country, you will need to provide proof of your visa/residency status, please contact us for more information.

Do I need to provide any documents?

You will need to provide us with photographic identification, 6 months bank statement showing income and as necessary, your visa/residency permit.

Is there a credit check?

For every rental application we do run a credit check on all adults who are moving into the property as part of our service commitment to landlords.

Do you need references?

We will require contact with your employer and any previous landlord you may have rented from. This process applies to all adults who apply for a property we manage.

I have problems with my credit rating. Can you still help me?

Let’s talk about it. Please contact our office to discuss your situation. No promises, though if we can help you, we will.

Will you ask for a deposit?

Yes, and this will be capped at five weeks rent in accordance with the Tenants Fees Act 2019.

Is my deposit safe with you?

We are members of a government approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
We take and hold your deposit in full in accordance with the deposit regulations.
You will receive a deposit protection certificate once you have moved in to the property. At the end of the tenancy we check the property and agree arrangements with both you and the landlord for the refund of your property security deposit. Providing you have taken proper care of the property, its contents and surroundings; attended to all domestic cleaning, and do not have any outstanding rent or unpaid bills we should be able to reach agreement over your deposit return quickly.

I have a pet. Will a landlord accept me as a tenant?

A lot of our clients choose not to accept pets, so please contact the office about the property you’re interested in. If the Landlord will accept pets it is very likely that the rent will be higher. Historically we would have asked for a higher deposit but the Tenants Fees Act 2019 caps deposits at five weeks rent so we are no longer able to do this.

How are my rent payments worked out?

We’ll quote you on a calendar month basis, with payments made in advance.

Do I have to pay any other bills apart from my rent?

Yes, you are responsible for all utility bills and Council Tax, and you must set up the payment accounts yourself. You must hold a valid Television License too.

How do I pay my rent?

Rents are payable by standing order from a single account, your rent will be due on the first day of each month.

How long will my tenancy be for?

At first it’s likely that the agreement will be for six months. After this we can negotiate and discuss another period, depending on the landlord’s plans.

Do I need tenant contents insurance?

The Landlord’s insurance does not cover your personal possessions, so we strongly advise that you insure them with a policy bought in your own name
We can provide you with a quotation for this through a reputable insurer, under a specialist insurance policy. This policy automatically includes your liability for any accidental damage to the landlord’s property up to £2,500, which may otherwise be deducted from your deposit.

Another question? Send a message from the Contact page.

Martins Residential estate agents- Peterborough

For home sales in and around Peterborough


Martins Residential estate agents- Peterborough

Block management in Peterborough